Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Gems of the Raven

Phoenix Storm had been watching Ares Riddle from the shadows for a couple of months. She was friends with a girl in Ravenclaw by the name of Luna Lovegood.  They were both second year students.  Phoenix had to admire Ares for standing up to Dumbledore when he kept trying to get the young Ravenclaw to go by his birth name when legally according to the Ministry of Magic; Harry James Potter no longer existed.  Because she was a half blood and was friends with a Claw then she was shunned by her dorm mates.  There was one friend she had in Ravenclaw and that was Daphne Greengrass, the Ice Queen of Slytherin and a third year.    
Daphne had confessed to Phoenix that she wouldn’t mind being the girlfriend of Lord Voldemort’s son even though her family had been neutral in the last war.  Like many Slytherins she didn’t care for Dumbledore and thought he was a horrible headmaster.  Phoenix had to admit to herself that she also liked the young and smart raven but why would he ever look at a half-blood like her?
Susan Bones had been surprised when Ares had let her sit with him and enjoyed the talk they had that day.  She hadn’t yet told her Aunt Amelia Bones about the conversation she had with Ares Riddle for fear that her aunt might forbid any relationship that might arise.  That is if Ares would even be interested in someone like me.  Ares seemed nice but she had to admit she didn’t know him too well.  He was secretive and that was one of the things she liked about him.  It can’t be easy losing the only father who ever cared for you.  He no longer has anyone.  At least I have my aunt.
“Hello Ares Riddle,” an airy melodious voice said. 
Ares turned his head and saw Luna Lovegood, a second year Ravenclaw standing next to him.  “Hello Luna. What brings you outside?”
“I was hoping to talk to the giant squid.”
“Oh okay.  Tell me Luna do you know why people pick on you?”
“I suspect they think I’m mad and that’s why they steal my things and call me names.”
“They steal your things?” Ares asked in disbelief. Stealing was something he didn’t go for and made sure his followers didn’t steal either.
“Luna you come to me when your stuff goes missing and I’ll make sure it’s returned to you.  Nobody deserves to have their stuff stolen from them or made fun of just because they’re different.  From now on you’re under my protection.  This I promise you as Godric and Salazar’s heir.”
Ares sat up as he heard footsteps and was surprised to see Daphne Greengrass, Phoenix Storm, and Susan Bones walking towards him and Luna. Luna took a seat next to him which surprised the third year raven.  The two snakes and the badger sat down around him and looked at each other before turning their gazes on Ares who shifted uncomfortably.   Dear Merlin what do they all want?
“What can I do for you three?”
“We have a problem,” Daphne said.
“What kind of problem and how am I supposed to help with this problem?”
“The three of us were talking and we realized we all like you Ares Riddle,” Daphne continued.  “Something needs to be done about this.”
Ares groaned as he heard more footsteps coming towards him and the group of girls around him.  A second year Gryffindor named Lily Moon walked past the group and made her way to the Qudditch Stadium.  She turned her head in Ares’s direction as she passed and gave him a small smile before continuing on her way.  Out of all the Gryffindors Lily was the only one Ares liked.  She wasn’t reckless like the rest of her house.  She was into her studies but also knew how to relax and have fun.  Beside her was Sophie Roper, a Hufflepuff like Susan.
“Lily!  Sophie! Come over here!” Ares called.  I guess now is the perfect time to tell them about what I learned at Gringotts and see if they are in agreement to be my future wives and mothers of my children for all six lines I own.
When Lily and Sophie came over and looked at the other girls curiously Ares sighed and motioned for them all to sit down.  He threw up privacy and silencing charms around the group.  There was no reason for Dumbledore to hear that he was the heir of the Naga line and that his mother was a pureblood witch who had been kidnapped from her family.  Though maybe Dumbledore knew that Lily had been kidnapped and kept that information from her. 
“When Peter Pettigrew sold James and Lily Potter to Lord Voldemort, he came to Godric’s Hollow and killed them before trying to kill me.  Dumbledore took me to the Dursleys and left me on their doorstep in the middle of the night with a ‘letter’ explaining everything.  I was treated like a house elf by the Dursleys until I turned six years old and the Dark Lord came and rescued me.  During the time I was at the Dursleys nobody from the magical world ever came to check on me at all.  Voldemort came to kill my birth parents and me on the word of Professor Snape about a prophecy.  A prophecy that Voldemort and I know to be fake.”
“What was the prophecy?”  Susan asked.
“The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies ... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not ... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies ..."
“Why would the headmaster have someone create a fake prophecy?” Lily asked with a hand over her mouth.
“To kill me.  He wants power. He got a taste of power when he defeated his ex-lover, Grindelwald and threw him in Nuremburg Prison and wanted more power. He aimed to have me kill my father and then he was going to kill me if I didn’t die and take the glory of defeating Voldemort for himself. He would be seen as a hero to the Light again for defeating another dark lord.
“Voldemort performed the blood adoption ritual when I was six years old.  I became Tom Marvolo Riddle’s son in blood and magic that day.  The name ‘Harry James Potter’ no longer exists legally except in Dumbledore’s mind.  He refuses to acknowledge that I am the son of his hated enemy. I am the son of Dumbledore’s son.”
“Dumbledore’s son?”  Daphne asked in horror.
“Yes.  Dumbledore is my father’s father and I suppose that makes him my blood adopted uncle.”
“What does this have to do with us?”  Phoenix asked as the others nodded their heads in agreement.  They were all curious what this had to do with him.
“I’m getting there.  You remember that I was suspended for easily defeating Ronald Weasley in my first year don’t you?”  At their nods he continued.  “Dumbledore came to Riddle Manor and killed my father.  He wanted to get control of me.  Then he stunned me and forced me to go live with the Weasley family.  That’s where I was last summer as well.  Everyone thinks I’m the next ‘dark lord’ because Tom Riddle blood adopted me.  I control the death eaters in father’s absence.  I will get my father back.  I stole the sorcerer’s stone and created the Elixir of Life at the end of first year.  I killed the basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets this year and have Susanna’s, that’s the basilisk I killed, egg.  I am responsible for the attacks on Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel, Molly Weasley, Ronald Weasley, a lady in Devon which is where the Flamels lived, Ginerva Weasley and ordered the death of Madam Malkin, the robe shop keeper in Diagon Alley.  I am the one who created the new group that has the Deathly Hallows as our symbol.  I am the dark prince of the death eaters, a pureblood wizard and the descendant of Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor through blood from both the Potter and Evans lines.”
There was silence as all six girls stated at Ares intently with shock in their eyes.  They couldn’t believe that a second year had killed seven people already and created a group almost as terrifying as the Death Eaters. They couldn’t believe that he was the descendant of Salazar Slytherin by blood through the Potter and Evans’ lines either.  “How did you kill three of the Weasels?”  Luna asked.
“One of my followers heard of some group called the Order of Chickens.  I’m an Animagus as are all my followers and I transformed into Skywing and pried the information out of Dumbledore’s mind one night before we attacked the Burrow.  Dumbledore had set up a marriage contract between me and Ginerva Weasley so they could steal the Potter fortune after James and Lily were killed.”
Daphne started laughing at that.  “You used Legilimency on the ‘leader of the light’ and attacked the Order of the Phoenix?  That’s amazing.  I doubt anyone has been able to do something like that before!”
The others started laughing as well as they realized that Ares had bested Albus Dumbledore at his own game.  “Does he know you were in his mind?”
“No.  I’m a natural Legilimens and Occulmens.  Both traits from Salazar Slytherin himself.  I’m also a parslemouth.  The last Potter who was a parslemouth died twenty years ago.  I went to Gringotts this past summer and learned some interesting information about myself.  Information that Dumbledore would have probably kept me from me.”
“Such as being the descendant of Salazar Slytherin by birth and being a natural parslemouth?”  Lily asked.
“Right.  Salazar had two children.  His son, Rial Slytherin, formed the Potter line with Godric’s daughter and Emma Slytherin formed the Evans line.  Lily Evans grandmother was a squib.  Our esteemed headmaster fathered the Dark Lord and then he placed memory charms on the Dark Lord’s mother to make her forget about the relationship she had had with Dumbledore. He allowed his son to be thrown in an orphanage and allowed him to be bullied there and at Hogwarts when he was in school for seven years in order to create another dark lord that he could defeat.  Father doesn’t even know that he is a pureblood and that Dumbledore is his father.  I plan on telling him that when I get him back.”
“How do you plan on doing that?”  Susan asked.
“I don’t know yet.  It’s hard to research when I’m being constantly followed by Dumbledore and his Chickens who teach at Hogwarts.  Well I went to Gringotts last summer as I received a letter from them informing me to come there to talk about my lineage.  I am apparently the heir of six houses: Riddle, Potter, Black, Gryffindor, Slytherin and Naga.  My mother was a descendant of the Naga line and I am the last remaining member of that line.  I also listened to my godfather’s will, a man named Sirius Black.  I was told that I can only become the head of the Naga line if I do not become a dark lord.  Even Salazar and Godric both told me that becoming a dark lord is not the way to go and a horrible path to take. 
“I also found out that in order to take up all six lines I need to marry six wives and produce a child to each line within two years after I graduate from Hogwarts.  Each wife will be the lady of her house and each set of children from each wife will carry the name of that house only.  I know which properties I have inherited from each line as well as the vaults.  I have already thought of hopefully having a relationship with Susan if her aunt doesn’t kill me first, but I like the rest of you as well. Luna is also under my protection already due to being mistreated by our fellow housemates. I was wondering if you would all consent to becoming my girlfriends and then the wives to each of the six titles I hold.   I was told that polygamy is not uncommon in the wizarding world.”
Ares waited as the girls looked at each other and walked out of the privacy wards so they could talk amongst themselves without Ares hearing anything.  Ares meanwhile was hoping they would all say yes and wouldn’t kill him for what he had just told them.  He really liked all six of them and couldn’t imagine being without any of them.  Finally they came back into the privacy wards and resumed their seats on the grass around Ares.  He couldn’t help but feel like a zebra that was being watched by a pride of lions.
“What will this entail besides having to produce an heir to each line within two years of graduation?  Will there be ‘relationships’ between us girls or you sleeping with two of us at the same time?” Susan asked with disgust on her face.
Ares was horrified that Susan had even voiced that suggestion. “NO!  That’s disgusting and I wouldn’t make you do that.  I want a relationship with each of you separately from the others.  The thought of you participating in sex with each other or me sleeping with two of you at the same time sickens and disgusts me.  That may be fine with some of the pureblood families and even muggles but that isn’t okay with me.  Father raised me right and I can’t imagine James ever cheating on Lily like that either.  From what Wormtail tells me about my birth parents, James respected Lily and worshipped the ground she walked on.  I promise to never talk about my other wives if that is what you each want when I am with one of my families and to never betray your trust by forcing you to do things that other purebloods would do to their wives.  I promise to support you all and be a good father and husband.  Even father disapproves of what some of his pureblood followers do to women they capture and kills anyone who participates in the rape of women and children.”
“Would the Dark Lord allow you to date me since I’m the niece of one of his feared enemies and Lily is a muggle?”  Susan asked with worry.
“I’m a half-blood,” Phoenix said with worry.  “That’s why I was afraid to approach you.  I thought you wouldn’t be interested in someone like me.”
“Phoenix I have no prejudices against half-bloods or muggle borns.  I admit I do have some issues with squibs but that’s due to my experiences with Argus Filch and Arabella Figg, a woman appointed by Dumbledore to ‘watch’ over me when I was still with the Dursleys.  I will talk to him when I have returned him to life dear Susan but I can’t see him objecting to it.  He knows that Hermione Granger is one of my followers and friends and has no issues with that.  My father doesn’t want to kill muggles or half-bloods.  He just wants our world and the muggle world to be separate for both our protections and safety.  I think as long as you promise not to betray me or have affairs with other men behind my back he will be okay with the marriages.”
Again the six girls looked at each other and as one seemed to decide for there was a chorus of “yes we accept Ares Salazar Riddle’s proposal.”  Ares breathed a sigh of relief.  “Do you know what lines you would like to be the ladies of?”
“Riddle,” Susan said immediately.
“Slytherin,” Daphne said.
“Potter,” Luna said.
“Gryffindor,” Phoenix said.
“Black,” Lily said.
“Naga,” Sophie said.
“I will visit Gringotts and search for rings in each of the six vaults to give to each of you.  But for now allow me to do this,” and he knelt in front of Susan.  “I, Ares Salazar Riddle, heir to House Potter, heir to House Riddle, heir to House Black, heir to House Gryffindor, heir to house Slytherin and heir to house Naga, hereby propose marriage and complete faithfulness to Susan Bones, daughter of the Ancient and Noble House of Bones and niece of Amelia Bones.” He repeated this statement with Daphne Greengrass, Lily Moon, Luna Lovegood, Phoenix Storm and Sophie Roper. 
“Please don’t let Dumbledore or anyone else know about this.  I don’t want harm to come to you without any rings on your fingers.  You can tell those friends you trust as long as you make them take an unbreakable vow.”
The six ladies of Houses Riddle, Potter, Black, Gryffindor, Slytherin and Naga nodded.  “My Lord do you also plan on taking up the inheritance titles?” Luna asked.
“Yes.  I’ll try to do that this summer when I get your rings.  They will be given to you all when we return to Hogwarts next year,” Ares said.
“What of your group?” Daphne asked.
“I don’t know.  Since accepting the Naga line means forsaking the path of a dark lord then I need to figure out what to do with them all.  I have plans for the wizarding world.  Perhaps some of them can help me with that when they graduate since I have some fourth and fifth years as part of my followers.  Let’s try to get a compartment on the train home together.”
The next couple of months flew by quickly.  Ares and his fiancĂ©es passed their second year and all of his followers passed their exams as well.  As they boarded the train, surrounded by a quarter of Ares’s followers who had been informed of their master’s decision to forsake being a dark lord in favor of finding other ways to shape the wizarding world,  they did not see the calculating look in the headmaster’s eyes as he surveyed the group of students before him.  “Fawkes I believe it is time to pay a visit to our prisoner,” Dumbledore said as he stroked his phoenix’s breast.  Fawkes looked at his master sadly and flamed away with Dumbledore clutching the tail feathers.
_______________________________________________________
End Year 2

No comments:

Post a Comment